Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year

It's time to start fresh.  Time to see what opportunities life can bring this year.  I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

But, in the mean time, I have certain goals that I would like to reach this year: 

1) A House
Whether it's a rental or by some miracle we are able to purchase a home, I want to be in a house sometime this year.  Our goal is to have enough space to host both of our families for Christmas 2012.  That's 2 sets of parents, plus Tristan's Sister and her Husband and 2 kids.  So, we need at least a 3 bedroom with a den, and I would love it to be under $1100 and in Oviedo or nearby on the East Side of Orlando.  (Or we can just win the HGTV Dream House, I'm fine with that too).

2)Better Jobs
Yes, I need to find a decent job (one that will work well with future school plans), but Tristan also needs a better job.  Someone with a Master's Degree shouldn't be working at Starbuck's, at least not in the lower levels.  I need him to start bringing home at least as much as I used to, and he deserves to make more.  We paid (and are still paying) enough for the freaking degree.

3) School
I am back to the beginning not being sure exactly what I want to do.  This is what happens when I get time to think about things, that's one of the reasons I just wanted to get going and starting moving forward.  But, I'm still torn between doing the Culinary/Pastry programs or doing the Medical Laboratory Technologist program.  The former satisfies my base desires and my creative urge, while the latter intrigues my intellectual side and will make much more money right out of the gate.  The other benefit of the MLT program is that it is only Tues. & Thurs., it might be possible to find a job when I know exactly what the school schedule will be.  Then again, I've always wanted to study Astrophysics.......anyway......I need to get into school.  Summer semester is my goal, but I have to wait and see if goal #1 is going to get in the way.

So, I don't have any real New Year's Resolutions, I don't really believe in them.  But, I have set these goals for myself.  And, as always, I am willing to listen to any advice that the wonderful people in my life my have for me.  As well as, being happy to use any leads or information that you have at your disposal. 

So, I wish a happy new year to you all.  Good luck with your goals and desires for the year, and let me know how I can help you to achieve them.

4 comments:

  1. Why do you have to rely on a private loan? Have you filled out a FAFSA? If you're just living on your own income, you should qualify for quite a bit. And since I couldn't claim Julie on my taxes, I certainly didn't claim her on my FAFSA, letting me get more money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With my previous degree and schoolwork, I've completely used up my lifetime maximum of undergraduate federal student aid. I can't get anymore unless it's at the graduate level. So, I'm on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. Gotcha. I knew I was missing something. Why not graduate school?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grad school isn't really what I want, mostly because there isn't really a program that fits anything that I want to do anyway. Not to mention that I'm not interested in spending a lot of money taking prerequisites and tests to try to get into a program that I may not be able to get into.

    ReplyDelete